Temporary burn ban issued during PGA Championship | Environment
JOHNS ISLAND (WCSC) - In preparation for the 2012 PGA Championship, a burn ban will be enacted for Johns Island, Kiawah Island and Seabrook Island during the week of the tournament.
The burn ban will take place from Saturday, August 4 at 12:01 a.m. and will run through Tuesday, August 14 at 12 p.m. The PGA Championship will be held on Kiawah Island during the week of Aug. 5 through Aug 13.
With thousands of tourists making their way to the Lowcountry during the week of the tournament, the need for emergency services throughout the St. John's Fire District will also increase, leading to the ban.
"In an effort to preserve emergency resources for high priority emergency situations for areas outside of the PGA Championship event, we have enacted a temporary burn ban," said Charleston County's Building Inspections Services Director, Carl Simmons.
The outdoor burning ban does not include residential grilling.
Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Johns Island - Kiawah - Seabrook Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials release details for 6th remembering of Charleston 9
- Showers and storms likely to help keep temps down
- Suspects wanted for breaking into cars at W. Ashley apartment complex
- HVAC unit sparks Colonial Village apartment fire, officials say
- Former deputy accused of traffic stop assault reaches deal