Lowcountry medical facilities to receive over 500K in grant funding | Health
The Lowcountry Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure will distribute $535,981 to numerous organizations throughout the Lowcountry. The grant funds are provided largely from community donations to the 2010 Komen Race for the Cure.
Several other fund-raising events, such as Rally for the Cure, held at various locations throughout the Lowcountry, also provided monies to Komen’s grant fund. The large grant recipients, considered awards of $10,000 or more, will be presented their checks in April.
Komen Lowcountry Affiliate annually accepts applications for breast health and/or breast cancer education, outreach, treatment support, or screening projects targeting services not otherwise available to the medically-underserved populations of Allendale, Bamberg, Barnwell, Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Hampton, Horry, Jasper and Orangeburg counties in South Carolina.
The remaining balance not given to large grant recipients is budgeted for small grants (no more than $10,000) and awarded throughout the year.
Large grant recipients this year include:
- $57,900 to Volunteers in Medicine, serving Beaufort, Jasper and Hampton counties
- $50,500 to Hollings Cancer Center, serving Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester and Georgetown counties
- $65,656 to Beaufort Jasper Hampton Comprehensive Health Service, serving Beaufort, Jasper, and Hampton counties
- $36,365 to United Way of BCH, serving Bamberg, and Colleton counties
- $34,970 to Roper St. Francis Healthcare, serving Charleston, Berkeley, and Dorchester counties
- $60,145 to Allendale County Hospital, serving Allendale, Bamberg, Barnwell and Hampton counties
- $69,899 to The Regional Medical Center, serving Orangeburg, Calhoun, and Bamberg counties
- $20,000 to South Carolina Cancer Alliance, serving Allendale, Bamberg, Barnwell, Beaufort, Charleston, Colleton, Hampton, Jasper and Orangeburg Counties.
- $24,621 to Smith Medical Clinic, serving Georgetown county
- $27,425 to Dream Center Clinic, serving Berkeley and Charleston Counties
- $18,500 to Greater St. Paul AME Church, serving Georgetown county
- $35,000 to Share our Suzy, serving Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Horry, Dorchester, Georgetown, Hampton, and Jasper counties
- $35,000 to ALALA Cancer Society, serving all 13 counties
Top Johns Island - Kiawah - Seabrook Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials release details for 6th remembering of Charleston 9
- Showers and storms likely to help keep temps down
- Suspects wanted for breaking into cars at W. Ashley apartment complex
- HVAC unit sparks Colonial Village apartment fire, officials say
- Former deputy accused of traffic stop assault reaches deal