Fire destroys home on Kiawah Island | News
KIAWAH ISLAND, SC (WCSC)- Firefighters say a blaze destroyed a home on Kiawah Island early Thursday morning.
St. John's Fire Department Chief Karl Ristow said the fire started around 4 a.m. at 405 Ocean Oaks Court, near the Osprey Point Golf Course.
Ristow said a caller reported a smell of smoke, and when firefighters arrived in the neighborhood, they found the home completely covered in flames.
One firefighter was taken to the hospital for treatment of minor injuries, the chief said.
As for the investigation into what caused the fire, Chief Ristow said it will be hard to determine because the house is destroyed. Ristow did say it was possible that a lightning strike caused the fire.
Authorities say two firefighters sustained minor injury.
Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Johns Island - Kiawah - Seabrook Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials release details for 6th remembering of Charleston 9
- Showers and storms likely to help keep temps down
- Suspects wanted for breaking into cars at W. Ashley apartment complex
- HVAC unit sparks Colonial Village apartment fire, officials say
- Former deputy accused of traffic stop assault reaches deal