Haut Gap Middle School wins Carolina Science Bowl | News
JOHNS ISLAND, SC (WCSC)- Congratulations are in order for the kids in the Haut Gap Middle School Science Club.
The group emerged victorious last Saturday from the Carolina Middle School Science Bowl in Raleigh, North Carolina, and they now advance to the national competition in Washington, DC.
The competition took place at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences Nature Research Center. The club is sponsored by teachers Melissa Core and Mary Moore, who initiated several fundraising activities with the club's members in order to fund the trip.
The Science Club and its sponsors have worked diligently at after-school practices all year in order to prepare for the event which hosted several teams from North and South Carolina.
A mother of one of the children on the team says they will now head to DC on an all-expense paid trip, thanks to the Department of Energy.
Haut Gap Middle School is located on Johns Island.
Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Johns Island - Kiawah - Seabrook Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials release details for 6th remembering of Charleston 9
- Showers and storms likely to help keep temps down
- Suspects wanted for breaking into cars at W. Ashley apartment complex
- HVAC unit sparks Colonial Village apartment fire, officials say
- Former deputy accused of traffic stop assault reaches deal